- Work from professional use cases to conceive of valuable new data sets and features.
- Identify useful data sources internally and externally and then work with those parties.
- Design methodologies for automation projects.
- Work with other teams to make use of natural language processing and artificial intelligence tools to generate data.
- Closely collaborate with the research and news teams to generate ideas and maximize the use of proprietary data.
- Experience identifying, analyzing and getting insights from complex, unstructured and incomplete datasets.
- Technical project management experience such as reviewing documentation to ensure accuracy, managing timelines, data inputs and priorities.
- An advanced degree in a relevant subject such as statistics, machine learning, mathematics, computer science, physics or a related quantitative field.
- Expertise with machine learning with Python such as clustering and classification models.
- Experience with data visualizations (Python and Tableau) to generate insights and communicate results.
- Solid understanding of NLP models and ability to work across teams on their development and improvement.
- Expertise with statistical analysis and quality assessment of structured and unstructured data sources.
- Familiarity with Google Workspace (in contrast to Microsoft Office 365) especially Google Sheets and Forms.
- Strong interpersonal competencies, ability to work collaboratively and excellent communication skills.
- Experience in financial markets and with financial data.
- Familiarity with ranking research, e.g. top colleges, billionaires (Forbes List), diversity and inclusion.
Barcelona - Spain
Python Job Details
The Wall Street Journal and Dow Jones Newswires seek a data scientist to join a team that serves global corporate executives and investors. This team builds and maintains proprietary data services, such as sustainable business scores that combine AI- powered news sentiment with company disclosures to enable comparison of companies across a wide range of
environmental, social and governance categories.
The data scientist will work on automation that yields proprietary data and other content to support premium products for professionals as part of our increased strategic emphasis on data and research. Our audiences increasingly demand data to support their decision-making, requiring skills in designing, extracting and analyzing data. This person will assist with new data initiatives to mine our substantial repositories of in-house data, but also from external sources where necessary. This will entail an understanding of the markets we serve and the use cases of professionals in those markets, designing rigorous methodologies and then the use of advanced tools to extract and organize the data.
The position will be based in Barcelona and will report to Nick Elliott, head of professional products innovation & strategy.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and samples of previous work. Please contact [email protected] if you have questions.
The Journal’s reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at [email protected] Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Data/Content Group
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world’s top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 36313