- Digital twins for representing machines, products, processes, and people involved in production.
- Real-time analysis of IoT data being harvested from sensors, complex industrial machines, vehicles, and people involved in industrial production to predict and correct problems before they occur, and to make real-time adjustments that improve production efficiency, enhance product quality, and/or reduce energy consumption.
- Next generation Industrial IoT Platforms that incorporate the above to support Industry 4.0 applications more efficiently and with lower cost
- An excellent track record of quality research as evidenced by research publications in top journals and conferences.
- Prior research experience in IoT data analysis (including machine learning and data science), and related computing platforms (including IoT, blockchain, and cloud/edge platforms).
- Previous experience with software development for large projects and manipulating large data collections.
- Excellent knowledge and skills in system design methods and techniques and developing complete software solutions using some of the following: Java/C#/C++/Ruby/PERL, SQL, Python and R.
- Demonstrated experience/familiarity with IoT devices (e.g., Arduino, raspberry PI., etc.)
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively within a large team of experts (academic, developers, engineers, industry, administrative staff, and students).
- Doctoral qualification or near completion of PhD in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- Every Swinburne learner gets a work experience
- Every Swinburne graduate gets a job
- Every Swinburne partner gets a tech solution
- Swinburne is the prototype of global best practice
Melbourne - Australia
Python Job Details
A unique opportunity has become available to join a vibrant research group to work in the Key Internet of Things (IoT) Lab. The IoT Lab addresses important challenges in our industries, supply chains, farms, hospitals, cities, homes, and our society. At the IoT lab we securely, and in real time, collect, integrate, and analyse IoT data from sensors, cameras, smart phones and wearables, complex industrial machines, and vehicles. Our latest focus includes the development and application of digital twins for machines, products, people, and processes, as well as predictive IoT data analysis models for improving productivity and resilience in manufacturing, agriculture, supply chains, city councils, green energy generation, and defence.
As the Research Fellow, you will support the IoT Lab Director and collaborate with the academics, Research Engineers, and post-graduate students in generating the Lab’s research outcomes and industry impact. In particular, the Research Fellow will conduct research in one or more of the following areas:
As the Research Fellow, you will also be expected to conduct research and development tasks for ARC and CRC-P projects, including 1) an ARC SteelHub Project with Infrabuild, titled Big Data Analytics for Billet Caster Control in EAF Steelmaking (IH200100005 41.7), and 2) an CRC-P with Bega, Optus, and Software AG, titled Live Inbound Milk Supply Chain Monitoring and Logistics for Productivity and Competitiveness (CRCPSEVEN000137).
In project delivery tasks, you will work closely with the project CIs, a team of Research Engineers and students to undertake research and development tasks in these projects. Ability to understand and combine the research outcomes from students, the Research Engineers, and the CI into integrated technical solutions is an important requirement for this role.
You will have a unique opportunity to work in a leading Australian Lab in the IoT area and to be mentored by the IoT Lab Director. Please note, this is a fixed term 2-year position with the possibility of extension.
To be suitable for this role you will need to have experience in the below key accountabilities:
About Swinburne University of Technology
Swinburne Horizon 2025 draws upon our understanding of future challenges. With this new strategic plan, we choose to build Swinburne as the prototype of a new and different university – one that is truly of Technology, of Innovation and of Entrepreneurship, and proud of it. We are committed to a differentiated university proposition in education and research, so that:
The achievement of our 2025 moon shots depends on our capacity to work collectively, always, as One Swinburne.
Please submit your CV and cover letter addressing why you believe you are suitable for this position.
For further information about this role and to review the position description; please click 'apply' or click onto it at the bottom of the advert.
Please Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children Check.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application, please contact the Swinburne Talent Acquisition Team on [email protected]
Applications Close: Saturday, 10th September 2022 at 5pm.
Swinburne offers flexible working options, leave and parenting/carer policies to support work life balance.
Diversity and Inclusion
Swinburne is a large and culturally diverse organisation and we are proud of our commitment to equity and inclusion through key initiatives. For further information on all our initiatives visit our equity and diversity website
We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
We are committed to making the recruitment process fair and equitable for all our candidates. If you have specific accessibility or support requirements please contact Maree Norden, Diversity & Inclusion Manager at [email protected]
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
For any support please contact our Aboriginal Employment Coordinator at [email protected] or for more information on our Indigenous strategies please follow the link to our RAP Reconciliation Action Plan
Orders from Victoria’s Minister for Health require all Swinburne workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they are an Excepted Person as defined by the Pandemic COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Specified Workers) 2021 Order (No. 1). All applicants must therefore be able to comply with this requirement.
We are a 2022 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.