- Working with a diverse range of people and skills from digital professionals to our front-line operators
- Collaborating with internal BHP customers to understand the business logic including key inputs and desired outputs to drive valuable decision making
- Recommend data science approach to tackle business problem considering various business and technical constraints
- Clearly articulate approach with supporting charts and tables to technical and non-technical stakeholder groups to drive understanding and consensus
- Rapidly build prototypes/ PoCs to understand feasibility with a “fail fast” mind-set
- Build and deploy ML models, using a large datasets, to solve key business challenges
- >5 years solid experience in Data Science using Python, R, and SQL
- Ability to interrogate and analyse large quantities of data and generate insights
- Experience working with version control and peer review processes, with the ability to productionise code
- Experience in one or more database technologies such as MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL.
- Knowledge of Data Governance and strong understanding of data lineage and data quality
- Ability to work across structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data
- Strong collaborator, team player, and individual contributor
- Strong communication skills and comfort speaking with business stakeholders, with the ability to translate the technical into language the business can relate with
- Experience coding in C#
- Experience using Snowflake
- Experience working in Agile teams would be desirable
- AWS Cloud certification and cloud development capabilities
Sidney - Australia
Python Job Details
At BHP Technology we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
To enable the rapid deployment of digital solutions we have established Digital Teams across Australia. Think of us as a “startup within a company” made up of multi-disciplinary, non-hierarchical teams with one focus: delivering digital solutions that improve the lives and work of our mining teams.
We work fast and solve tough problems, and pride ourselves on our culture of open collaboration, safety, diversity of thought and fun. We’re looking for the best and brightest developers, engineers, data scientists and designers to join us, working from our offices in Brisbane.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
As a Data Scientist /Data Scientist, you will play a key role supporting the Digital team and the Digital Factory projects that fundamentally change BHP’s performance across safety, productivity and people performance. The Digital Factory is BHP’s approach to rapid design and development of digital that provide solutions to operational challenges. These products are built on effective access to high-quality data.
The fun parts of this role include;
We are looking for all those that eat, sleep and breathe data. You will enjoy solving complex problems and delivering innovative solutions within a team environment made of diverse skills and experiences. You will be happy working in a fast paced start-up like culture but with the resources of multinational organization can provide.
Bonus if you have experience in any of the following
About our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
BHP also requires employees in Australia to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our people (from the 31st of January 2022 or earlier depending on relevant state health directives). If you are applying for a role at BHP please consider this new requirement when submitting your application. BHP will also adhere to any relevant health directives that may be made that affects our workforce. For further information please see our website (LINK)
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance based bonuses and unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. BHP is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.